Colombian taste buds are not enough with the sweet of the fruit; For this reason, traditional Colombian cuisine has created sweets in which the protagonists are just some of the great variety of fruits that can be found in the country. In this new blog post, we will see which are the most recognized Colombian desserts that have a delicious fruit base in their preparation:
- Bocadillo: It is a dessert made with sugar and guava. Without a doubt, one of the most representative sweets of Colombian cuisine. Its origin occurs in the municipality of Vélez (Santander) and in Colombia it is usually eaten with cheese or milk. In addition, it is an excellent filling for snacks such as cheese bread, roscón-kind of bread- and even ripe banana!
- Brevas with arequipe: Brevas are a very special fruit. They are the first crop of the bíferas (this occur between June and July). Its second harvest, the so-called figs, occurs between August and September. To prepare this fruit as a dessert it is necessary to make a small cut in the top of the fruit and cook it for a long period of time. Then you add sugar, a little lemon and let it cook even more. When they are cooked, cut them in halfs and filled them with another of our typical sweets: the arequipe. This is a caramelization of milk with which you get a thick mixture perfect for spreading on any food or filling certain snacks. And that's it, ready toe at!
- Cocadas: Typical of the Caribbean coast, this sweet comes from an Afro-Colombian tradition. Its main ingredient is coconut, as its name says, and for its preparation it is necessary to grate it. Coconut should be mixed and heated in a pot accompanied by a sweetener (either panela or sugar), milk, cinnamon and coconut water. Once mixed all the ingredients should be separated into small portions and allowed to cool before consuming.
- Dulce de Papayuela: The protagonist in this case is the papayuela, a traditional fruit of the Colombian andes. For its preparation the papayuelas must be peeled and cooked for a long time, just like the brevas. Then add cinnamon and let them cool together with a few drops of lemon; And that's it, another typical Colombian candy.
- Merengón: This dessert is found in all corners of Colombia; not only in patisseries, ¡people sell it even in the trunks of their cars! To prepare its base, the meringue, you need egg whites, lemon sugar and vanilla extract. This dough should be baked and let stand. Once ready, cream and the sweetest fruits are added: peach, strawberry, soursop, etc.
- Strawberries with cream: The most basic dessert of all we have spoken. To delight you with this sweet, you only need to cut the strawberries into four, almost like the shape of a flower, and bathe them in cream of milk until they lose sight. But the Colombian secret is, sprinkle them with a little condensed milk and, of course, the inevitable grated cheese on the top!
The real secret of these preparations is, as we say about all Colombian preparations, love. So we invite you to go to the nearest market place and buy the fruits that have been harvested with so much love for our farmers and add a little more of that secret that makes desserts, the sweetest meal of all.